Preparation is key to create the perfect chips - ideal for accompanying fish, burgers or just as a snack with mayo.
Stuff you’ll need
2kg Maris Piper potatoes
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 minutes in total
Get Stuck In
1. Peel your potatoes and cut into chips – approximately 1cm for thick-cut chips, or half that for thinner ones. Rinse well under cold water, then drain.
2. Put the chips into a pan of cold, salted water, and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, and simmer until just soft to the point of a knife.
3. Drain, pat dry and allow to cool, then put in the fridge until cold.
4. Heat your a pan of sunflower oil to 120°C, and add the chips. Don't overcrowd the pan. Blanch for about five minutes until cooked through but not coloured.
5. Remove, drain, pat dry, and refrigerate.
6. When you're ready to eat, heat the oil to 160°C and add the chips. Cook until crisp and golden, then remove, drain, season and serve immediately.