The combination of fresh pears and the distinctive hazelnut flavour makes this a stand-out dessert.
Stuff You’ll Need
1.5Kg ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped
50g demerara sugar
Get Stuck In
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
For the the butterscotch sauce
1. Place butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and vanilla pod in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice to taste.
3. Stir in the double cream.
4. Remove the vanilla pod before using.
For the crumble
1. To make the pear crumble mixture, melt the knob of butter in a pan, add the pears then add enough butterscotch sauce just to cover the pears, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, but are not too soft. Then remove from the heat.
2. Mix the unsalted butter, sugar and plain flour in a food processor, or rub between your fingers, until they look like breadcrumbs ten add the hazelnuts and porridge oats.
3. Sprinkle the crumble mixture onto a tray evenly and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
4. To serve place the hot crumble filling into dish and top with crumble and warm heat through oven, then serve with custard.
140g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
140g hazelnuts toasted and crushed
140g demerara sugar
180g plain flour
50g unsalted butter
50g soft brown sugar
50g golden syrup
½ vanilla pod split
75ml double cream
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 1 hour