Impress your dinner party guests by serving partridge - a forgotten meat that is rich and flavoursome.
Stuff you’ll need
Get Stuck In
1. Preheat the oven to 220’C
2. Brown the legs and add 100g vegetables, garlic, thyme and bay and stir fry.
3. De-glace with the wine. Pour the lentils in, cover with the chicken stock, season and cover with foil. Slow cook for 30 mins, or until the legs and lentils are cooked. Take off the heat and cool. Pick the meat off the bones and reserve with the lentils.
4. Sweat the remaining vegetables, cool and reserve.
5. In oil and butter, pan-fry the crown all over. Season with salt and pepper, cover with a butter and roast in the oven until pink (approximately 10-15 minutes). It is essential to rest the breast on the bone. Take the meat off the bone using a sharp knife. Baste and serve hot, skin crisp, breast meat pink.
6. Grill the toast and half dip it in parsley.
7. Warm the lentils with some flaked leg meat, the remaining vegetables and chopped parsley and some stock and butter.
8. Slice the breast and serve.
5x 375g pieces of partridge + legs + crown prepared for roasting
10ml olive oil
300g Le Puy lentils
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 garlic clove
750ml dark chicken stock
200g mixture of carrot, celery and shallots
5 slices of sour dough toast cut in half diagonally
Handful of chopped parsley
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour plus