Ideal to add to burgers as a vibrant topping, this treacle and ale combination adds some pizzazz to your dishes.
Stuff you’ll need
4kg oxtails cut in half or into three
180ml brown sauce
60g Worcestershire sauce
10g English mustard
30g malt vinegar
Salt and pepper
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6 hours
Get Stuck In
1. Preheat the oven to 100ºC/212ºF/gas ¼.
2. Place the oxtail in a snug-fitting roasting tray, season with sea salt and black pepper, drizzle with oil, then rub all over. Cover tightly with a double layer of tin foil, then cook for 4 hours, or until tender.
3. When the time’s up, transfer the oxtail to a baking tray. Skim away the fat from the roasting tray and reserve in an airtight jar (use it for delicious roast potatoes another day).
4. Place the roasting tray over a high heat on the hob and bring the juices to the boil. Simmer for around 2 minutes, then add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
5. Brush most of the sauce onto the oxtails so they’re nicely coated all over, then return the oxtail to the oven for 20 to 40 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised to your liking.
6. Take out and leave to cool. Pick off the meat and any sauce collected and reserve to top the burgers later.