There's nothing as comforting and heart-warming as good old fashioned homemade custard to go with dessert.
Stuff you’ll need
1l double cream
3 vanilla pods
18 egg yolks
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Get Stuck In
1. Heat whole milk and double cream and in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Scrape the seeds from the split vanilla pods and add to the pan.
3. In a large bowl, beat together 36 egg yolks and the caster sugar.
4. As soon as the milk and cream begin to boil, take the pan off the heat.
5. Gradually pour the hot liquid onto the sugary yolks, whisking continuously.
6. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a clean pan.
7. Stir the mixture over a low heat until the custard thickens enough to thinly coat the back of a spoon.