This Asian dish with kombu (edible kelp) and salty samphire looks impressive on the plate and is simple to make.
Stuff you'll need
Get Stuck In
1. Prepare the halibut fillets and reserve.
2. Wash and drain the samphire. Prepare all the ingredients ready to stir fry
3. Meanwhile, bring the cold water and kombu just to the boil. Take out the kombu and add the katsuo bushi. Let it stand for 3 minutes. Stir to sink the bushi. Drain through a cloth.
4. Pan-fry the fish, skin side down until crisp and golden, turnover and sear. Take out and leave to rest.
5. Sauté the potatoes in butter and add the stock to finish cooking them. Drain and toss in the rye crumbs and serve up.
6. Stir fry the samphire, shallots, chilli and mushrooms.
10x 120g pieces of Gigha halibut, skin on
100g shallots, finely sliced
1 chilli, finely sliced
100g dried trumpet mushrooms, soaked and prepared
20 small Charlotte potatoes, blanched and peeled in natural shape
100g rye breadcrumbs, ground
10g katsuo bushi
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour